The SPSAS-GLYC will be funded by São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) which offers resources for the organization of short courses in advanced research in different areas of knowledge, contributing to students training and creating in the State of São Paulo a center of attraction for scientific talent.
The São Paulo School of Advanced Science in Glycobiology (SPSAS-GLYC) will bring together 6 international and 6 national researchers who are reference in Glycobiology. The topics to be adressed have been selected for their relevance to academia and industry. The scientific program will cover:
1) biosynthesis and function of glycoconjugates;
2) glycan functions in cancer;
3) new methods for qualitative and quantitative analysis of glycoconjugates;
4) importance of glycan-binding proteins in pathological processes;
5) glycan-mediated immune system modulation;
6) glycobiology applied to the study of infectious diseases;
7) heparin and intracellular signaling;
8) chemical and enzymatic synthesis of glycoconjugates for disease treatment.